|Recipe gelled and dissolving in 91% isopropyl alcohol|
|In the mold|
I let the soap mixture cook, checking it occasionally to stir and empty the melt water out of the lid. I did spritz it several times with alcohol to minimize the foaming. I used
a glass mug in the freezer to test whether it would thicken up. After the soap was clear when I dropped it on the base of the cup and thickened up I put it in molds. I promptly put these molds on the top shelf in my refrigerator freezer. According to what I have read cooling the soap as quickly as possible helps to keep the soap clear.
|In the freezer|
After I got everything solidified I started remelting everything in the crockpot to remover extra water. After making sure that everything was melted down and it cooked for about an hour to an hour and a half I decided it was time to start molding again.
This time I decided to use plastic wrapped around the same tray. I put it in the freezer until it solidified. After that I wrapped the top with plastic wrap and put it back in the freezer. Then I wrapped the tray with plastic wrap and refilled it.
|Remelting to remove some of the liquid|
|DON'T leave the crock pot on! Please!|
leaving the crockpot on overnight. Let me tell you it was a massive mess. Not only did I have soap all over my counter, but the soap that didn't boil out of the crockpot ended up caramelized on the bottom of the pot. It was a MESS.
On a positive note, the soap I put in the freezer solidified nicely. And I can still use the soap that boiled out for cleaning. Now I can start thinking about other things to make from my melt & pour. Right now my bars of melt & pour is in bars on my curing rack so that a little more of the moisture can evaporate.
I am linking with the following blogs: